The following naming conventions were used in naming default schema objects. It is recommended that custom schema objects and attributes use these conventions for consistency:
- Objects and attributes start with capitalized
letters. For example, “Name”.
- If there are multiple words in one name, the
first letter of consecutive words are capitalized. For example,
“DomainName” and “TargetRightSet”.
- Abbreviations should be avoided. However,
some abbreviations are used in the default schema, including “ID”
- Metaverse data linked to FIM might follow its
own naming conventions, but additional objects and attributes
should follow FIM naming conventions when possible. For example,
“Person” is mapped to “managed:person”.
- Use the singular form of a name to all newly
created or edited multi-valued attributes except when Active
Directory Domain Services uses a different naming convention.
- Add a prefix to your custom schema element to
avoid conflict with future FIM schema extensions.
- In this release, do not use a colon (:) or
parentheses [()] in the system name of a custom resource. Creation
of custom resources with these characters in the Name property (see
will cause the FIM Portal to become inoperable, and a
reinstallation of the FIM Portal will be necessary.