Forefront Unified Access Gateway (UAG) DirectAccess extends the benefits of Windows DirectAccess across your infrastructure, enhancing scalability, and simplifying deployments and ongoing management.
Forefront UAG DirectAccess features include the following:
- Improved manageability of remote
users—Forefront UAG DirectAccess enables IT professionals to
manage mobile computers, by updating Group Policy settings, and
distributing software updates any time the mobile computer has
Internet connectivity, even if the user is not logged on. This
flexibility allows IT professionals to manage remote computers on a
regular basis, and ensures that mobile users stay up-to-date with
security and system health policies.
- More secure and flexible network
infrastructure—Forefront UAG DirectAccess takes advantage of
technologies such as Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) and
Internet Protocol security (IPsec), providing a more secure and
flexible network infrastructure for enterprises, by using:
- Authentication—Forefront UAG
DirectAccess authenticates the client computer, enabling the
computer to connect to the intranet before the user logs on.
- Encryption—Forefront UAG DirectAccess
uses IPsec to provide encryption for communications across the
For more information on IPsec, see IPsec (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=154708).
For more information on NAP, see Network Access Protection (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=154709).
- Authentication—Forefront UAG DirectAccess authenticates the client computer, enabling the computer to connect to the intranet before the user logs on.
- IT simplification and cost
reduction—Forefront UAG enables you to reduce your costs
- Providing unified management—Forefront
UAG provides unified management for all the remote access
- Hardware consolidation—Forefront UAG
manages remote access technologies, load balancing and array
functionality, and NAT64 and DNS64 on the same server, and using
the same management console.
- Providing unified management—Forefront UAG provides unified management for all the remote access technologies.
- Extended access to IPv4-only
resources—Forefront UAG DirectAccess uses integrated NAT64 and
DNS64 to enable clients to access IPv4-only resources, in addition
to IPv6-based resources.
- Simplified deployment and
administration—The Forefront UAG DirectAccess configuration is
incorporated into the Forefront UAG Management Console, and is
configured using interactive wizards, providing simpler deployment
- Enhanced scalability, high availability
and management—By utilizing its array management capabilities
and Windows network load balancing, Forefront UAG enables you to
set up multiple DirectAccess servers in an array, providing high
availability and scalability.