Forefront Unified Access Gateway (UAG) includes a trace mechanism that is based on Event Tracing for Windows (ETW); a high-performance, low overhead, scalable tracing mechanism that is provided by the Windows operating system. Forefront UAG tracing outputs detailed failure and debugging information in a binary format. This binary information can be converted into a readable text format. For troubleshooting complex issues, you can use tracing together with Microsoft’s Customer and Support Services (CSS). Tracing is provided as follows:
- On the Forefront UAG server.
- Client-side tracing is enabled when installs the Forefront UAG
Client Trace component on client devices connecting to Forefront
UAG portals and published applications.
In order to convert binary trace files into a readable format, tracing symbols (.tmf files) are required. These are available as follows:
- For servers running Forefront UAG RTM, Update 1, and Update 2,
tracing files are available from the Microsoft Download Center.
- If you install Forefront UAG with SP1 integrated in it, tracing
files included in the .iso, in the UAG\Microsoft Forefront Unified
Access Gateway\Trace folder.
- If you install Forefront UAG SP1 on an existing uagshort
server, obtain the tracing files from the Microsoft Download Center.