Forefront TMG acts as a gateway to the Internet,
implementing security in three security layers: the IP packet
layer, the application layer, and the circuit layer. This
multilayered approach is made possible by the services included
with Forefront TMG:
- The Microsoft® Forefront TMG Control service (isactrl). This
service is responsible for restarting the other services as
necessary, generating alerts, running actions, and other
- The Microsoft Firewall service (fwsrv). This service is
implemented at the circuit-layer level.
- The Microsoft Forefront TMG Storage (ISASTG). This service
provides local storage for the Forefront TMG configuration.
- The Microsoft Forefront TMG Job Scheduler service (isasched).
This service downloads content from the Internet according to a
- The SQL Server (MSFW) service (MSSQL$MSFW). This service is the
instance of Microsoft SQL Server Express 2008 that is
installed with Forefront TMG and is used for logging.
- The SQL Server (ISARS) service (MSSQL$ISARS). This service is
the instance of Microsoft SQL Server Express 2008 that is
installed with Forefront TMG and is used for reporting.
This section contains the following sections:
about this topic to Microsoft
© 2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.